April 6, 2020
Just as you have been following the continuing situation with the COVID-19 global pandemic, so has Team CHEA, specifically with regard to our 37th Annual Homeschool Convention, scheduled for May 28-30, 2020 at the Anaheim Convention Center.
In light of worsening conditions and stricter and lengthier regulations, we feel it prudent to weigh our options and consider alternative plans for this year’s event. Our annual conventions are an important event for many people–CHEA’s team included–and we are disappointed it may not happen when we had planned. However, while we are sad we may not be seeing everyone in May, we know that God is in control and we are trusting His timing for this event.
As you can imagine, an event of this size has a lot of moving parts. It takes coordination with a number of people, groups, and organizations to make any change of plans. Our team is working diligently so we can share our news with you soon. Please stay tuned for specifics.
We take our mission to heart and love helping homeschool families across our state. We have been amazed by the homeschoolers who have not only demonstrated strength and tenacity during this unusual time, but also the support and encouragement they have shown to families who have been thrust into balancing working from home while also managing their children’s education, with varying degrees of guidance from their schools. We are inspired by your creativity and out of the box thinking as you also adapt to your new circumstances because we all know this is not what your normal homeschool days are like either. We are blessed to serve such wonderful and resilient families.
We thank you for your patience and understanding as we work through this unpredictable and unprecedented time. We would ask that you continue to pray for those on our team, those we are working with, and our convention. We also recognize that many of you may be struggling during this time of uncertainty. Please know that we are praying for you as well.
We look forward to sharing more with you soon.
March 12, 2012
You can’t flip through the TV channels or scroll through your social media feed without seeing news, memes, and opinions about COVID-19, also known as “novel coronavirus.”
As events across the country are being canceled, you may be asking, “What’s happening with CHEA’s Convention?”
The answer is a simple one. As of March 12, we are still planning to host CHEA’s 37th Annual Homeschool Convention at the Anaheim Convention Center from May 28-30, 2020.
Planning a convention is a months-long process, and our staff has spent many hours putting together an event that is an encouragement and support to homeschool families across the state of California.
At the same time, we recognize that families may be fearful of what they are hearing about the spread of the virus and the world’s reaction to it. This is what CHEA of California knows to be true.
- God is in control. We don’t know what the coming days, weeks, and even months will bring (with this pandemic or anything else the world throws our way), but we can rest assured knowing that God does.
- God does not want us to be fearful, but to seek His wisdom. We know the Creator of the universe. He loves and cares about each one of us. We trust His perfect plan for each of us and our Convention and we seek His guidance.
- Homeschooling is a GREAT way to teach and protect your children, now more than ever. Many other families may be realizing this as well. We encourage you to share how great it is with friends, family, and neighbors who may be exploring home education as a result of this virus. We will continue to serve you and new families who are looking into homeschooling.
It is still too early to tell how COVID-19 might affect our Convention. As of March 12, only events through the end of this month are being impacted by the Governor’s orders. We are continuously monitoring guidance from local, state, and national authorities each day. We are also consulting with the Anaheim Convention Center and DoubleTree Suites Hotel to ensure the health and safety of all our attendees.
How can you help?
- Pray for health and safety for those in California, and across the US and rest of the world
- Pray for our speakers and exhibitors as they make preparations to join us in May
- Pray that God will bless them and our CHEA staff as they serve the families here in California
- Pray for wisdom for those making decisions about the response to the virus at all levels
- Pray for Team CHEA as we continue planning for Convention. The enemy has been taking shots at us in a variety of ways and we covet your prayers of protection from his advances.
Our team will continue to seek God’s wisdom and guidance in our planning. We continue to pray over our event, our families who are planning to attend, and for each decision we make. We encourage you to stay up to date with information about COVID-19 from your county’s health department or the California State Health Department website.
Any additional updates regarding our Convention can be found here on our Convention website and our social media channels.
We pray that God will grant you a peace that passes all understanding and will protect you and your family until we can be together in May.