Please follow the steps below to prepare your items for sale. Be sure to note the Terms of Service.
Deadline to register as a seller and input books into the database is Sunday, May 24, 2020 or when item limit has been reached, whichever one comes first. There is a limit to the number of items that we can accept to sell. Items will be accepted on a first come, first served basis. Once the item limit has been reached the barcode site will be closed. (You will still be able to print your master inventory list and labels at any time.)
|Thursday, May 28|
|12:00 – 4:00 p.m.||Curriculum Drop-off|
|5:00 – 6:00 p.m.||CHEA Platinum, Gold, and Silver Members Only|
|6:00 – 9:00 p.m.||Admission by ticket only (available to those who register during Early Bird), first-come, first served. Tickets are required only on Thursday evening.|
|Friday, May 29|
|10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.||All Convention attendees may shop|
|Saturday, May 30|
|10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m||Discount Day: All Convention attendees may shop (note abbreviated hours)|
|4:00 – 6:00 p.m.||Sellers may retrieve their unsold items|
|6:00 – 6:45 p.m||Gleaning–unsold materials|
Terms of Service
In order to better serve both buyers and sellers, all sellers are required to agree to the following terms of service:
- Seller Proceeds: Seller receives 70% of the sale price for items sold that were printed on the Sales Contract at time of drop-off. Your payment will be direct deposited into your bank account through Bill.com. Within one week of the convention, you will get an email invite asking you to sign up for a free account in which you fill out your bank information. Payment for your sale proceeds will be sent to you approximately four weeks after the conference. Payments will not be made directly to you at the conference. Please make sure UCS has your email address that you check most often. If a sellers account is not set up through Bill.com when payments are made, $1.00 will be deducted from your payment to pay for mailing a check to you.
- Item Condition: All items submitted for sale shall be intact and in good repair (i.e., books shall have their covers, tapes and videos shall be in cases, DVDs and CDs match the cover title, etc.).
- Minimum Prices: Minimum item price is $1.00. Any items priced $25.00 and over will need to be inspected by a UCS volunteer before being accepted. Please keep these items separate in order to expedite this process.
- Non-Sellable Items: Any items not properly labeled and bar-coded will not be placed out for sale and will be returned to you at pick-up.
Ratings: Use discretion with materials rated PG-13. Materials rated R and above will not be accepted for sale. CHEA reserves the right to refuse any materials without having to state a reason.
- Unclaimed Items: ANY items remaining after 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, May 30 become the property of CHEA and will be disposed of at CHEA’s discretion.
- CHEA is not responsible for lost, missing, or stolen items.
Step 1: Create your sale account
Go to the Barcode Site and create an account. There is no other registration required. Read through the instructions on the site before you begin entering your items.
Step 2: Enter your sale items
For each item to be sold, enter or select:
- Type of item
- Category/Subject: Choose a subject for the item. The list contains sub-categories only to aid you in choosing the main subject of your item.
- Grade level: PK through 8th grade are listed separately. Grades 9-12 are listed under High School. There are also levels for “any,” “adult,” and “multiple.”
- Selling price: You are responsible for determining the price of the material. You know what you paid for resources and what you would like to get for them. Be discerning, ask a fair price, and your items should sell. Here are some pricing suggestions:
- Bought new; current edition; in good condition: 30%-50% off original price
- Bought new and never used: 25%-35% off original price
- Bought used: 35%-50% off used price
- Earlier editions that are still usable and in good condition: 65%-75% off original price
- Minimum price is $1.00
- If you have an item that you feel does not meet the minimum pricing, you may gather several like items together in a bundle and price accordingly.
- There is a space on the label where you can write in the price you paid for the item if you would like. You may also indicate the price you paid for the item inside the front cover, written in pencil.
- Ultimately, the pricing decision is yours. CHEA makes no claims or guarantees about the sale of your items.
- Discount Saturday Price: You have the option to discount your curriculum if it doesn’t sell before Saturday. Leave this blank if you do not want to discount your items.
- Donations: Check this box if you have used curriculum but would rather make a donation than sell it. Any sale proceeds will benefit CHEA, and we will happily provide you with a tax receipt for your donation. If the item is unsold, it will go into the gleaning area.
Step 3: Print your labels, master inventory list, and contract
Print your labels from the barcode site when you are sure that you have all of your data entered correctly. Each label will print twice. Both labels will be needed for each item.
- Paper: White paper
Please no sticky labels as they tend to ruin the books for future users.
- Ink: Black
We recommend you use a new ink cartridge for best results, as the scanners will NOT pick up lightly printed or colored barcodes.
- Improperly labeled items (light barcodes, colored paper, or handwritten labels) WILL NOT be accepted.
Print your Master Inventory List from the barcode site and double check all entries AFTER printing your labels. If items need to be changed, added, or deleted, please do so on the database site. If you need to remove or modify an item from the list, be sure to discard any previously printed labels for that item. Then reprint the labels for the item and your updated Master Inventory List.
Step 4: Prepare items for sale
Attach the labels:
- Attach one label securely to the front, top, right corner cover of your item. You may attach your plain white paper label with rubber cement or clear tape.
- Attach the second label to the inside front cover, when possible. Labels for games, CDs, DVDs, and manipulatives may go on the back or bottom of item. It is important to attach the second barcode in case the first label becomes lost or damaged during the selling process.
- Please do not devalue an item by using sticky labels. Labels should be easy to remove after the sale.
Keep packages together:
- Please try to keep kits or packaged items (including textbooks/answer keys/teacher guides) together with Ziploc bags or plastic/shrink wrap. (String will also work.) Text and test booklets must be secured together in the manner you think easiest for customers to see your merchandise and yet be properly labeled.
- There is a space on the label to input the number of total items in your set.
- Feel free to add any additional information on your label, such as “item 1 of 3,” “set of 5 books” or “missing one workbook,” etc. using RED INK. Your printed barcode label and any additional label with information should be securely on the front, top, right corner of your package.
- You may also place items in a plastic tote, but the tote will be sold with the item(s).
Box up your items:
- Pack all labeled items, by subject, into boxes that you do not wish to have returned.
Have your paperwork ready:
- Bring your Sales Contract and Waiver AND Master Inventory List to the UCS. They will be signed in front of a UCS Volunteer when you leave your items.
What may be sold:
- Items for sale are limited to like-new and gently used curriculum, fiction and non-fiction books, and other materials including CDs, DVDs, audiobooks, manipulatives, games, computer software, art supplies, music supplies, globes, science equipment, maps, kits, equipment, etc. Bound copied material will not be accepted unless the original copyright information is provided on each item.
- Not permitted: Clothing, vitamins, health products, animals, perishable items, stuffed animals, dolls, solicitations, or magazines may not be sold. Items that are copyrighted and state that they may not be resold will not be accepted. CHEA reserves the right to refuse any submitted items without stating a reason.
- Bible: Bible Curriculum, Bible Reference, Bible Studies, Christian Books, Church History, Devotionals, Memory, Prayer
- Fine Arts & Foreign Language: Art, Crafts, Drama, Music, Supplies, Foreign Language, Latin, Sign Language, ESL, Hebrew, Critical Thinking, Logic
- Language Arts: Grammar, Handwriting, Language Arts Manipulatives, Spelling, Vocabulary, Writing, Speech, Debate, Comprehension, Readers, Phonics, Reading Curriculum, Reading Skills
- Literature: Adult Books, Chapter Books, Teens/Young Adult, Classics, Non-Fiction, Novels, Plays, Poetry, Audiobooks
- Mathematics: Advanced Math, Algebra, Arithmetic, Business Math, Calculus, Consumer Math, General Math, Geometry, Math Manipulatives, Personal Finance, Elementary Math
- Multi-Subject: All-in-one curriculum, curriculum with more than one subject, Classical Education, Unit Studies
- Other: Board games, Kits, Posters, Puzzles, Manipulatives, Physical Education, Atlas, Charts, Dictionary, Encyclopedia, Globes, Maps, Thesaurus, College prep, School supplies, Special needs, Teacher education, Testing, Homeschooling/Teaching Instructional Books, Character, Dating/Courtship, Home and Family, Life Skills, Marriage, Parenting, Cassettes, CDs, DVDs, Play system, Games, Videos, Software
- Science: Anatomy/Physiology, Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, Science Equipment, Unused Complete Experiments, General Science, Geology, Health, Science Kits, Science Manipulatives, Physical Science, Physics, Elementary Science
- Social Studies: Archeology, Anthropology, Civics, Culture, Economics, Geography, Government, History, Home Economics
Step 5: Drop off items
Drop off your items on Thursday, May 28, 2020 between 12:00 – 4:00 p.m. at the Anaheim Convention Center in the parking garage by the elevator. You must pay to enter the parking garage. In order to get a refund for your parking fee, you will need to exit the parking garage within 30 minutes of entering.
Items you need to bring:
- Your properly labeled items, boxed in non-returnable containers, and sorted by subject when possible
- Your Master Inventory List
- Your signed Sales Contract and Waiver
Please be prepared to spend a few minutes with a UCS volunteer to verify that your items are present and properly labeled. Once verified, you will be asked to sign your Master Inventory List and Sales Contract and Waiver to complete the check-in process.
Unable to make the drop-off time? You may send your items with someone else to drop off. Simply ensure you include all items listed above and note if you prefer to pick up or donate unsold items. In instances of long-distance travel or time conflicts, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will try to accommodate you in any way we can.
Step 6: Pick up leftover/unsold items
You may pick up your leftover/unsold items on Saturday, May 30 between 4:00 and 6:00 p.m. in Room 264 ABC. Any items not picked up by 6:00 p.m. will become the property of CHEA and disposed of at CHEA’s discretion.
UCS Volunteers may or may not be available to help you carry out your materials. Please be prepared to transport your materials from the pick-up location to your vehicle.
Step 7: Receive your payment
Your funds will be direct-deposited into your bank account through Bill.com. Within one week of the convention, you will receive an email invitation requesting you sign up for a free account where you will provide your bank account information. Payment for your sale proceeds will be sent to you approximately four weeks after the Convention. If a seller’s account is not set up through Bill.com when payments are made, $1.00 will be deducted from your payment to pay for mailing a check to you.
Payments will not be made directly to you at the Convention. Please make sure UCS has the email address that you check most often.
Don’t see your question listed here? Email us at email@example.com.
Do I have to register for the conference to sell items?
No. You are welcome to sell your items whether you attend Convention or not. But we sure hope you will and even consider volunteering!
May I bring unregistered items to sell at the UCS on Thursday?
No; the last day to register items to be sold is Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. Item labels must be computer-generated to contain the barcode; therefore unregistered items or handwritten labels will not be accepted for sale.
Why can’t I just label my items with my own system?
Sellers must use our barcode system (see instructions above). It helps us keep the large number of items streamlined so we can provide an efficient sale that is beneficial for everyone. Our online barcoding system seeks to make the labeling process as simple as possible. This system includes comprehensive directions on how to categorize, label, and document the items you want to sell.
May I place items out for free?
No. Due to space and personnel limitations, we can only accept items that have been registered for sale through our online database.
Why do I have to pack my items by subject?
Our team handles up to 20,000 items; that’s a lot of variety! To make your experience (shopping & selling) the quickest and easiest possible, we need to be able to get the books on the proper tables in the shortest amount of time. Plus, you know your products better than anyone else; if you are trying to sell a book about the inventions of Benjamin Franklin, you know best if it should be Science or Biography. And don’t worry—the barcode site makes it easy. Input your items in any order, then print labels. By placing your label in the front, top, right corner of each item and packing those items by subject (when possible), it greatly reduces the amount of time it takes volunteers to place items out correctly.
What are the benefits of selling at the UCS?
Sellers have no cost for space, table rental, advertising, or transaction costs like fees for debit and credit cards. We take all the risk for you! The potential for selling your items is greatly increased with a large number of attendees perusing the sale. You can also set your price as you deem to be fair and there will be no haggling or bargaining. We would love for you to participate!